Substrate

Greetings,
  I am about to set up a 75 gal tank and have a question about
substrate.  I already have an Fe rich clay for the tank (terra cotta...
main ingredient is Red Art), but now, I am wondering if I want to cover
it with sand (like I have done in my 30 gal).  What I would rather do is
cover with gravel (1.5 to 2.0 ") because of astetic reasons.  I wonder
if the "cloud" facter would be too high every time I added/removed
plants.  Right now, clay that comes to the surface though the sand stays
in a clump and can be removed without making pea soup out of the water.
Any ideas?

Bjorn Straube
straube at digital_net