90 gal All-Glass frame Wows:(

Hello all,
  Bit of a problem here, I just got my new 90 gal tank(All-Glass) and stand
setup in the living room.  I went to put the power filters (2-Aquaclear
300's) on and they do not fully fit over the frame.  They do slide over the
frame, but stop at the lip that holds the cover glass.  While it appears
that this would be enough to hold them, they now stand to high for the hood
to fit:(  It is a home made hood, pine and 6 NO flor tubes.  I really do not
have the room to trim the hood, and want the filters to slid down the rest
of the way.  To get them to do it, I would have to trim off about a 1 inch
length of the lip.  Outside of voiding the warranty does anyone feel this
would significantly reduce the strength of the frame???  I like the
Aquaclears, and would rather stick with them as they are on my other tanks.
And I went with the 300's since my 35 gal is over filtered with one of these
on it now.  Here is a simple pic, and There is a slightly better one at
http://www.voicenet.com/~dietsch/fishpics/tankprob.jpg
(Hopefully the pic is online, as my ISP server is full at the moment, but
they informed me it will be fixed soon:)

   Cross           Top View
   ¦```¦                               Frame
    ¦ ¦

I think I will clean it, and fill it to check for leaks before I do any
modifications:):)
Thanks much,
Jeff
PS Can't wait to plant this beast:):)