RE: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #882

in Aquatic Plants Digest      Friday, August 8 1997      Volume 02 : Number 882,
Karen Randall wrote "Hot glue is just a plastic that melts with heat and then solidifies again
when it cools.  It won't hurt your fish."

I have noticed that two fallacies are widespread in the aquarium hobby -
1. all plastics are much the same
2. plastics are innocuous for fish and plants.

I hope you don't mind if I make this a long post by quoting some sobering info from an excellent reference book,  Stoskopf's Fish Medicine [Saunders]. Excerpts follow from the Hospitalisation chapter, Plastics section.
---------------------
"Plastics cover a wide range of materials with quite diverse properties."
. . . . .
"New or unknown materials should be tested for toxicity with a bioassay before they are used with a client's fish. Materials graded as acceptable for foodstuffs are usually acceptable for aquarium systems. Recycled plastics should be avoided."
. . . . . .
"Newly constructed tanks using fibreglass should be treated carefully to rid the system of polymerising agent and trapped metals in the fibre glass resin." [** He gives a simple procedure for doing this, if anyone wants me to post it].
. . . . . .
"[Vinyl] can have tremendous residuals of toxic plasticiser and heavy metals trapped in the polymerisation process. These leach out into the water. Dioctyl phthalate is a common contaminant, and although 10 days of soaking and etching is recommended for its removal, it makes vinyl a poor choice in any fish system."  [** But it's widely used ....]
. . . . .
"Polyvinyl chloride is generally not used in tank construction, but it is used in the construction of the plumbing systems .... High impact or unplasticised PVC is most commonly used for plumbing but can contain trace amounts of metals, particularly lead, which can be leached in acid water systems."  [** and of course plasticised PVC is much worse].
<end of excerpts>
---------------------
I think toxicity of this kind is common and unrecognised, because MP <pearlsco at u_washington.edu>
Subject: PMDD ingredients

I am willing to sell PMDD ingredients to people in the United States.
I'll need to look into postage rates, but you can email me if
interested, and we can figure out how much you want (or how much you'd
like to make up in a batch).

I am also willing to trade PMDD ingredients for plants.  Still looking
for an 18" Val, glossostigma, E. tenellus, Hydrocotyle vulgaris, and
anything interesting.

Of course, all replies should be direct to me and kept OFF the list.

Cheers,

Mark
- ------
pearlsco at u_washington.edu
How much does a fish need a bicycle like a man needs... ?