Re: Optimum current in planted tank + H corymbosa

     Frank I. Reiter" <FIR at istar_ca> asks in the 8/7/97 Aquatic Plant
     Digest what is an optimum current for plants?

     If your plant leaves are moving slightly this is an indication of
     turbulent flow which is what you want. Turbulent flow greatly
     increases the mixing of the fluid (water) at the boundary layer of the
     leaf which improves the transfer of water containing CO2 to the leaf
     surface where it can be absorbed. If you have CO2 injection, high flow
     rates will also increase the surface interaction of the water and
     result in a lower CO2 concentration at dynamic equilibrium. Again,
     this gas interchange is greatly increased when there are turbulent
     flow regimes at the water surface which are characterized by small
     disturbances in the water surface e.g. ripples, eddies, any visible
     disturbance. If you have bottled compressed CO2 and you are running
     trickle filters, box filters or the like, the additional CO2 you need
     to inject may not be worth worrying about. If you are using yeast CO2,
     you probably want to take every precaution to minimize surface
     disturbances in your water.

     As an aside, I have a Hygrophila corymbosa (or stricta) which sits in
     the current from my powerhead which I use to inject CO2. I use a half
     inch tube about 6-8" long to improve the CO2 dissolution rate and I
     have to aim it so that I don't have surface disturbance and so that it
     doesn't dig a hole in the substrate. The Hygro continues to grow and
     has sent down a number of fairly thick root fibers into the substrate.
     The _stem_ of the plant however has rotted away for about 6 inches
     from the gravel up. I don't know if this is related to the water flow.
     Paul K and I have been speculating whether this is related to the
     fertility of the substrate and caused by decomposition byproducts. I
     wondered if this was not a natural phenomenon of the plant. Many
     species of Hygrophila seem to loose small twigs which float on the
     surface and might be a mechanism for propagation and dispersal.

     I'm curious about other folks observations of H corymbosa and stem
     melting of Hygrophila species in general.

     Steve P in Vancouver BC