Re: RO water and algae

>>>Date: Mon, 4 Aug 1997 00:02:42 -0400 (EDT)
From: MMacG1167 at aol_com
Subject: RO water and algae

Does anyone here who uses reverse osmosis to supply most or all of their
tank water have what they would call an "unacceptable" algae problem?<<<<

I use 100% RO water and currently have no visible algae in my tank.  I
reconstitute the water with a combination of RO Right, calcium chloride and
epsom salts to achieve a GH and KH of roughly 5.  The tank has a laterite
substrate and I use Dupla tablets at water changes and Dupla 24 drops
daily.  I add potassium nitrate at water changes to achieve a nitrate
concentration of roughly 5 ppm.  Lighting is 5500K metal halide at 3 watts
per gallon.

I did have some hair algae several months ago but the addition of some
ghost shrimp eliminated it.  The shrimp are gone but the algae hasn't
returned.

Don