Re: CO2 - Cannister Injection as a Diffuser?

>Date: Fri, 01 Aug 1997 17:26:21 -0700
>From: "Michael A. Ullman" <mullman at hlc_net>
>Subject: CO2 - Cannister Injection as a Diffuser?
>
>Does anyone have experience and/or success with using a cannister filter as
>a diffuser for a fresh water plant tank???
>
>Experiences/recommendations are really appreciated.

Using a cansiter filter as a reactor works very well.  It's not as
efficient as a purpose-built reactor but it will do the job.

We used an Eheim 2217 for on our setup.  We made a small hole in the inlet
strainer and connected the CO2 airline to it with a cheapie plastic right
angle airline fitting.

We noticed that the the filter would "burp" CO2 every so often as it
collected up at the impeller, so some was wasted.

Don't worry about killing bacteria with the CO2. Many unaware advise-givers
assume that if CO2 is injected into anything, all life therein ends. The
water in the canister will be a bit lower in pH than the tank but not
enough to matter.

George
George Booth, Ft. Collins, Colorado (booth at frii_com)
Need info? http://www.frii.com/~booth/AquaticConcepts.htm