Measuring hardness

I have near my a shiny new conductivity meter, which I purchased for the
purpose of quickly and easily (and therefor frequently) measuring the
hardness of my freshwater aquariums.

The instructions which came with it were disappointing - not a mention of
hardness or TDS anywhere.  The unit measures conductivity in units of uS.
I turn again to the collective knowledge of the list:

1) What unit does uS symbolize?

2) How can I convert that unit to ppm of total dissolved solids?

3) How can I convert either of the above numbers to degrees of hardness?

Thanks in advance...

Frank.
-----
The very act of seeking sets something in motion to meet us;
something in the universe, or in the unconscious responds as if
to an invitation.  - Jean Shinoda Bolen

http://home.istar.ca/~fir