Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #868

> Date: Thu, 31 Jul 1997 16:22:19 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Tetra59057 at aol_com
> Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #866
>
> I have a 55 gallon tank and when I put plants in it the always seem to slowly
> wither away and eventually die.  Right now the only plants that don't seem to
> be very much effected are 4 amazon sword plants and 2 rotalas.  When I
> started to research on why this might be happening I realized I had FAR too
> little light in the tank. (two 18" 15 watt bulbs) I first was a little mad at
> the dealer for not informing me that the lighting was in-sufficient, and also
> at myself for not researching enough about the tank and the plants I wanted
> to put in it.  But anyway, the point of this posting is that when I tried to
> but some new bulbs I went to all the local pet-shops and none of them had
> what I needed (all were too low of wattage) so I went to home depot and they
> did'nt  have the right stuff.  Does anyone know of any way I can increase the
> lighting in this tank without spending a whole lot  of money because I'm 14
> and I mow lawns as a business and I don't exactly have a huge budget.  Can
> anyone help me?  Thanks in advance
>
> ------------------------------

I'm kinda in that pickle myself.
I'm also 14, and I have a low budget (I work work work). I'm assuming
that they sold you a single strip light. If you bought a full hood with
your tank not a glass one, the plastic one with the flip top things on
the front, then you can't add anything else. You'd have to either
replace the single bulb strip lite with a double bulb (approx $60), or
you can buy a glass canopy, and put whatever kinds of lights you need on
them. I have 2 48 inch bulbs over my 55 and the plants are doing ok, but
I can't grow everything. My suggestions for lighting is as follows:

1 coralife 50/50 (makes the tank look not as yellow, be prepared to
shell out $20-30 for this thing)
1 coralife trichromatic
1 daylight bulb (this is incredabyly cheap)

I get by with the daylight bulb and the 50/50.

Email me at poseidon at together_net if you have any questions.