Re: Metal Halide Lighting

>>>I thought for a while that I had defective units.  Sometimes when I
turned them on they would immediately glow slightly, warming up to full
intensity in two or three minutes.  Other times ... nothing.  No light at
all.  This happens quite consistently if they were turned on recently -
turn off a lit bulb and turn it back on and there is no light.

Eventually I discovered that if I just leave it turned on it will
eventually, perhaps 5 or more minutes later, begin to glow and then come up
to full intensity.

Is that normal?<<<

Yes, this is normal for metal halide lighting.

>>>Observation number two:  Three bulbs turned on within a few seconds of
each other will blow a 15 amp. GFI circuit within a minute or less.  A
meter shows me that they draw about 2 amps when first turned on, about 1
amp. when in the dull glowing stage, and slowly back up to 2 amps as they
warm up to full intensity, BUT when they are flickering, just as they begin
glow, there is a spike associated with each flicker that is too brief for
my meter to register fully.

Is that normal?<<<

I don't think so. I currently have three 250 watt metal halides plus a 1/4
hp chiller and six pumps on a 20 amp breaker with no problems.
On another 20 amp breaker I have four 150 watt and three 175 watt metal
halide bulbs with no problems.

It seems to me that maybe you have a little more than just the three light
fixtures on the circuit.  What about the filters, heaters and other
household applicances?

I had similar problems sharing breakers with other household equipment and
as a result I have now installed the two dedicated 20 amp breakers to
supply my aquariums.  I haven't had any problems since making the change.

Don