Re: Penny for your thoughts

> Date: Wed, 23 Jul 1997 12:11:17 -0700
> From: DOUGLAS HEROLD <dherold at ctcentral_com>
>
> I recently purchased some pond penny, which I have assumed is Lysimachia
> nummularia. In trying to find out more about this plant in APD and
> elsewhere on the net, I have found several references to a terrestrial,
> flowering pond penny, also L. nummularia. Does anyone know if this is
> the
> same plant, a variety of the same plant, or a completely different
> species? (The plant in my aquarium does not look as if it would survive
> out of water, but then, it hasn't grown to the surface yet.) Just
> curious. :/

It's the same species, immersed and emersed forms, although there may have
been some selection for forms that do best in tropical aquaria.  Ditto
for Lobelia cardinalis which is a streamside plant, native from Florida
to Quebec, and often planted in not-particularly-wet gardens.  I suspect
aquarium forms are from the southern part of the range, but I could certainly
be wrong.

Btw, there's a yellow-leaved cultivar of L. nummularia.  I've seen it in
plant nurseries but not in aquaria yet.

L. nummularia is often called moneywort as a garden plant.  It can be
quite a spreader, too.  It has pretty yellow flowers.

Beverly Erlebacher
Toronto, Ontario Canada