Re: Aquatic Plant Growth

> Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 09:04:37 -0500 (CDT)
> From: eworobe at cc_UManitoba.CA
>
> (while Im at it, why dont we drop the term KH and just use the term
> alkalinity?)

Because "KH" is carbonate hardness (CO3- ions) and alkalinity is
carbonate hardness plus other factors that contribute to acid
buffering (like phosphates).  In the "ideal" freshwater environment,
the only buffering would be from carbonates and we could use the terms
interchangeably.  But most water is far from ideal in this sense, so
we should not use them interchangeably.  IMHO, of course.

The CO2/pH tables are based on carbonate hardness, not alkalinity. It
would be misleading to call them "CO2/pH/alkalinity" tables because
aquarists dealing with less than "perfect" water would not get correct
results.

My favorite hardness test kit is the Tetra kit.  As long as they
persist in calling what they measure "KH" and "GH", so shall I.  I
think it reduces confusion.

How do you feel about GH (general hardness or Ca++ and Mg++ ions)?

George