Luvskribs's snail

> Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 19:00:35 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Luvskribs at aol_com
> Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #839
>
> I have found a small snail in my planted tank. It is brownish, and I'm not
> sure what type it is. It has a small spiral at the end of its shell, but the
> main part of the shell is more round. Could anyone hazzard a guess? I would
> like snails to keep the gravel from getting to compacted, but don't want ones
> that eat plants. Thanks

It's probably a pond snail (Limnaea and related species).  These guys
are undesirable - they breed very fast and will eat plants.  You'll
probably never get rid of them, but when you see them crush them against
the glass.  Most fish regard crushed snails as a treat.

The snails you want for the gravel are Malaysian Trumpet Snails (Melanoides
tuberculata).  They don't eat plants, but will eat algae and detritus.  They
burrow in the gravel during the day.  I wouldn't trust them with fish eggs,
however.