Re: Cheap Substrate Heating (Karsten)

Karsten Klein wrote:

>Assuming Silicon tubing contains mostly Silicon, it actually
>is a very good thermal conductor. Here are some thermal
>conductivities to compare (in units of W/cm*C):
>Silicon:           1.57
>Steel:             0.97
>Stainless Steel:   0.329
>Iron:              0.803

I think your assumption is faulty here Karsten.  We are talking about
silicone rubber not elemental silicon (note the "e" at the end of
silicone).  Silicones are "Any of a group of semi-inorganic polymers
based on the structural unit R2SiO, where R is an organic group,
characterized by wide-range thermal stability, high lubricity, extreme
water repellence, and physio-chemical inertness, used in adhesives,
lubricants, protective coatings, paints, electrical insulation, synthetic
rubber, and prosthetic replacements for bodily parts."  - The
American Heritage Dictionary, Second College Edition.

Jonathan in really, really uncomfortable Maryland
Energetics, Inc
7164 Gateway Drive
Columbia, MD 21046
(410) 290-0370