Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #821

>Steve Pushak mentioned that plants such as Elodea, Egeria and
>Saggiteria (sp?) will utilize bicarb as the source CO2; a process
>called biogenic decalcification.
>My understanding of this process is that it is NOT the preferred
>method of meeting the Carbon needs of these plants, i.e. they
>prefer to use carbon available as dissolved CO2.
>Steve: did I misread your post? I've used 2 of 3 of the plants in
>non-CO2-injected tanks with no pH problem and no evidence of
>biogenic decalcification (i.e no "sand" on the leaves).

It's a well know problem... these plants might rise the pH by the
biogenic decalcification ... but they do that only if they have
sufficient light... If you're not using CO2, and you have a good
lightning, you should see the pH go up... if not, your lighting is not
good. :-(

correct your lighting, and you will see the biogenic decalcification...
after that, add CO2, and you will see your plants grow very rapidly :-)

JP

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------
-+
| |     .-.                                             Jean-Paul
Chicheret |
| |    /   \         .-.           2, route de Dijon 21600 LONGVIC -
FRANCE |

| |/           '-'         '-'                         Fax : 03 80 31 87
82 |
-+
| jpc25 at calva_net | jpmac at planetb_fr |
Jean-Paul.Chicheret at inforoute_cgs.fr |
-+