Re: biogenic decalcification

Hi Folks

Steve Pushak mentioned that plants such as Elodea, Egeria and
Saggiteria (sp?) will utilize bicarb as the source CO2; a process
called biogenic decalcification.
My understanding of this process is that it is NOT the preferred
method of meeting the Carbon needs of these plants, i.e. they
prefer to use carbon available as dissolved CO2.
Steve: did I misread your post? I've used 2 of 3 of the plants in
non-CO2-injected tanks with no pH problem and no evidence of
biogenic decalcification (i.e no "sand" on the leaves).

Anybody have thoughts on this?

BTW the above tanks were 20gal and plain gravel substrate.

Marshall Wilkinson
Calgary Alberta