Re: Biowheel filters

> I think the question should be "Will a planted tank cause problems with
> biowheels?"  Answer: yes.  Especially if you have snails.  The snails
> will tend to collect near the axle of  the biowheel, eventually stopping
> it from turning.

How do your snails get to the biowheel axles? My biowheels are above water;
the axles don't touch water. There's no way the snails can get to the
wheels through the intake--they'd have to pass through the intake tube and
then through the filter pad. And there's no way they can climb up a
waterfall ...

> If you must use a hang on the tank power filter, the best one that I've
> found is the one that I use now on my 20 gallon long.  This is the
> Supreme Aquamaster.  I like its thin design and above all, the fact that
> you can snap open the cartridges and change the media.

Penguin/Marineland has a media "cage" available for its biowheel filters.
Open the cages and stuff them with anything you want, including biobeads,
floss, sponge, etc.

Greg. Tong
gtong at sirius_com

"Often, the things that change are less interesting than those that stay
the same."--Aaron Fleisher