Re: Ridding tank of snails

Hi James,

You wrote:
snip...

>>Hello,
>>
>>I have a "huge" snail problem in my planted tank and was looking for
>>any suggestions as to how to off the little devils without upsetting
>>the balance to much.  I have heard that clown loaches will work,
>>however I am concerned that they will root around in the substrate.  Is
>>this true.  I have a laterite layer that I do not want to get disturbed
>>too much.

Snails can be baited and just lifted out. For carnivores, like Malaysian
Trumpets, a bit of meat in a saucer, or tied to a stone works. Remove meat
and the attached snails every midnight for a few days. Use tough meat like
round steak that will not disintegrate and foul the tank.

A piece of microwave-blanched zucchini or lettuce works for the more
vegetarian species, like pond and ramshorns. They are less nocturnal, I
think, so you may not even have to get up in the middle of the night to
catch them.

Since the eggs may survive, you may have to repeat in a few weeks. It is the
least disruptive method I know.

Good luck,

Wright

--

Wright Huntley (408) 248-5905 Santa Clara, CA USA huntley at ix_netcom.com