[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Cooling fan for DIY lighting system

<I've been told that a good way to provide ventilation for a DIY lighting
<setup is with a cooling fan for a computer. I've looked at a few and they all
<have power lead cables that can't just be plugged into an outlet. They all
<have two cables, one with a male end and one with a female end. The male end
<has four tube shaped prongs in a row and could be plugged into the female
<end. Does anyone else use computer fans on their lighting systems? If so, how
<do you get it hooked up to the electrical outlet (or some other power

It sounds like you are looking at the whole computer power supply and not
just the fan.  Computer fans(sometimes sold as "boxer" fans) are available
either as low voltage DC or as AC.  Unless you have some form of DC
available, you should purchase the ones that are for 115vac.  They are
available from electronic supply houses such as Newark Electronics, Allied
Electronics, etc.  They are also available from electronic surplus stores
for between $5 and $10 apiece.  If you have an electronic supply house in
your area, this is the best source for low price.  They normally have two
contacts( unless some form of connecting cable is attached).  An appliance
cord obtained from the local hardware store can be soldered directly to the
connectors.  I would recommend you ask the assistance of a friendly local
amateur radio operator if you are not skilled in electrical tasks.

k5vkq at ix_netcom.com