Red Clay

> Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 17:40:45 -0400 (EDT)
> From: HPach at aol_com
> Subject: laterite
>
> In his Aug 17, 1995 note Eric Olson suggested smashing up clay pots and use
> for laterite.
> I would like to ask:
> Has anyone done this successfully?
> Does he mean the run of the mill red (terra cotta) cheap flower pots?

That was the general idea.  However, in replies, people noted that fired
clay will not have the same properties, and since then we've discovered
you can get "Red Art Clay" ( = Laterite) for significantly less money
overall anyway.

By the way, I've been using Laguna Art Clay in my big planted tank for
over a year now.  Last weekend we moved the tank to a new house, and had
to skim off the top layer of gravel to make the tank lighter.  After
dumping it back in, I figured it'd take a while for the water to clear...
nope, within hours you'd never know it had red clay in it.  Completely
cleared. Something to think about for the kitty litter debates. :)

  - Erik

---
Erik Olson
eriko at wrq_com