quiet Filter / the role oxygen in a planted tank / surface films

Talk about an umbrella heading but they are (somewhat) related.

First, in relation to quiet filters I'm sold on the Eheim internal sponge
filters. They work really well, they last for years, spares are available
if you break something, and they are very quiet.

Second, in relation to oxygen in planted tanks and surface films:
I've been bothered by "cloudy" surface film on the water on and off for
some time and have noticed similar comments from others over past months.
I've solved it at the moment by hooking an Eheim Surface Suction
Extracter which I had in the unused box from the days when I used a
cannister filter to the intake of the small Eheim 1005 power head I use.
The surface of the tank is now pristine. A side effect is that I get a
column of bubbles in the cylinder of the Extracter which I assume will
provide some "aeration". One one occasion I've some of the bubble column
actually get sucked into the power head resulting in a small spray of
bubbles from the power head for a few seconds.

The amount of aeration I'm getting does not appear to be causing major
CO2 loss since my Dupla colour indicator is still showing an ok colour
and pH hasn't risen excessively.

The tank definitely appears brighter without the light transmission at
the surface being cut by the film and that may help a little on plant
growth. I don't know whether it will boost O2 levels to the point where I
get any of the effects mentioned by Michael Eckardt in his posting on the
role of oxygen in a planted tank but I'll be interested in seeing what
happens.

David Aiken