Aluminum and water

I have some of those old Aluminum Framed tanks, all in use.  The only problem
I have had was the fact that I have had to either remove the old cement and
completely replace it, and/or reseal the glass at the corners and bottom. The
frames are just fine. No "rot" or other problems.

The frames were there to hold the whole contraption together, and were not
intended to be in contact with the water. But, even the tops (which were
always wet with condensate) of my old tanks are quite sound.

I suspect problems with aluminum and water come from the fact that strong
bases (alkalies, to those who learned the term that way) react strongly with
aluminum. e.g, Drano is nothing more than Lye and aluminum filings. If you
have extremely hard, alkaline water, your aluminum frames will NOT appreciate
it.

Hope this is useful.

Jean Olson
JOlson8590 at AOL_com