Re: Filterless Plant Tanks

>Date: Fri, 20 Jun 1997 14:26:06 -0500
>From: Jamie Howton <jhowton at fotofab_com>
>
> I just read the article titled "Plants and the natural aquarium" by
> Doug Valverde in the July 1997 issue of FAMA.  Doug appears to be
> advocating filterless plant tanks on the grounds that since "plants
> prefer ammonia/ammonium and can use nitrates, but not as efficiently",
> there is little need for filters containing nitrifying bacteria in
> planted tanks.

I don't use a filter in one of my plant tanks and let the plants do all the
work but that tank is crammed full of plants and has few fish in it. I'd go
with a small filter just to be on the safe side.

Greg. Tong
gtong at sirius_com

"Often, the things that change are less interesting than those that stay
the same."--Aaron Fleisher