Filterless Plant Tanks

I just read the article titled "Plants and the natural aquarium" by Doug Valverde in the July 1997 issue of FAMA.  Doug appears to be advocating filterless plant tanks on the grounds that since "plants prefer ammonia/ammonium and can use nitrates, but not as efficiently", there is little need for filters containing nitrifying bacteria in planted tanks.  He does state that he uses a rich substrate, CO2, "mineral suplements", VHO lighting etc. so his tanks are not low-tech.  He also says that he does regular water changes, and uses a power head to circulate water within the tank.

I would be interested in hearing any opinions.

Regards

Jamie Howton
Vice President Operations
Fotofabrication Corp.