a couple things...

> Date: Wed, 18 Jun 1997 16:59:41 -0500
> From: krombhol at felix_teclink.net (Paul Krombholz)
> Subject: Re: Nutrient Deficiency?
>
> It sounds like potassium deficiency to me.  Holes forming in the older
> leaves are often associated with potassium deficiency.  Try about 1 cc of 1
> molar KCl per gallon.  That should be enough to cause a big improvement if
> the deficiency is potassium.
>

> Paul Krombholz                  Tougaloo College, Tougaloo, MS  39174, in
> cool Jackson, Mississippi where we have not yet reached 90 degrees.

Does the Na:K ratio (or some other complicating factor) have anything to
do with plants' K requirement, or is it entirely a matter of K
concentration?

And on to other things...

I'm looking for a way to kick-start some crypts.

Some time back I bought three plants that I tentatively identified as
Cryptocoryne cordata.  The rhizomes were small and in poor shape, but I
didn't expect many opportunities to get the plants, so I bought them
anyway.  Not too surprisingly, the plants subsequently lost all leaves and
went into semi-dormancy.  Each has developed one or two very small (1 cm)
leaves; if a plant loses one, it grows a new one, but there is no sign of
progress.  The rhizomes (at least, when I last checked) haven't degraded
any further. They've been like this for a year or so, now.

The plants are in a 20 gallon long tank with a grove of C. wendtii that
grow to the water surface and some A. barteri nana.  The substrate is a
mature (8 years old) fine sand - coarse sand mix with no amenities.  The
tank has been getting major and minor nutrient supplements but no CO2.
There are currently lots of trumpet snails, but no fish in the tank.
There's 50 watts of flourescent light (rather old bulbs) and water
circulation but no filtration.  The water I use has moderate Gh and rather
high Kh but I haven't measured either in this tank for quite some time.

What should I do to encourage these plants to put on new foliage?

Roger Miller