Mangrove tank

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 18:51:41 -0400
From: ivester <ivester at ecs_umass.edu>
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Subject: mangrove tank

This is my first posting to this list.  I was browsing under "magroves"
and I came upon some old postings to this list.  After searching through
the entries, I only came up with one old message about mangroves, but I
am hoping someone out there can help me.
	I currently have a ten gallon tank with, get this: three red magrove
trees, a mudskipper, two bumblebee gobies, a green treefrog, and a
Chinese friebellied toad.  They all seem to live happily, but I have had
a hard time finding more plants that would be compatible with this
brackish water system.  The local pet stores either tell me they have
nothing compatible, or else they sell me something which I later find
out is not compatible.
	Even though my setup isn't exactly true to natural, I am interested in
plants the would naturally grow in mangrove- areas.
I would especially be interested in a plant that will provide nice flat
leaves for the treefrog to climb in - i.e. one that will grow above the
surface of the water.
	Also, if anyone has any tips on growing mangroves they would be greatly
appreciated.  I recently bought a new lightbulb for my tank, which has
helped tremendously, but after a year, my little trees still have not
produced any side roots for the mudskipper to climb on.  AM I just too
impatient?  Are there any growing techniques which can help me to
produce, er, "bonsai" mangroves (short trees with lots of roots)?
	I just attempted to subscribe to this list, but in case it doesn't
work, I would appreciate it if responses could be sent to the following
address: Ivester at ecs_umass.edu

	Thanks in advance,
			Lori Fijol