Just SAE stuff, what else

Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 08:48:45 -0600
From: George Booth <booth at hpmtlgb1_lvld.hp.com>
Subject: Re: What exactly are SAE's?

> Absolutely not. E. siamensis can get aggressive and territorial when
> older and, AFAIK, don't eat black algae.

Nonono.  E. siamensis is just the old name for C. siamensis.  They
both mean SAE.  You are probably thinking about flying fox,
E. kalopterus.

Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 12:32:32 -0400 (EDT)
From: BobFenner at aol_com
Subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #762

> Yes, unfortunately common monikers are just that; "pretty loose" and way too
> colloquial. The many minnow species of the genus Crossocheilus are labeled as
> SAE's, acronym for Siamese algae eaters, as is THE (wow that's big) "flying

Are they?  I think that just Crossocheilus siamensis is labeled (or at
least should be labeled) as SAE, and the rest of Crossocheiluses donīt
have any common names at least in aquarium trade.  They are so seldom
for sale, and I haven't ever heard anything about their algae eateing
abilities.

> see to Petru M. Banarescu, A review of the species of Crossocheilus,
> Epalzeorhynchos and Paracrossocheilus (Pisces, Cyprinidae), Travaux Du Museum
> D' Histoire Naturelle "Gregore Antipa" v. 28, 1986, pp. 141-161 for more. And
> my usual admonitions re using "just" common nomenclature and misgivings re

Do you have that review, Bob?  Could I get a copy of it, please?