DIY CO2

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 15:23:02 -0700
From: Eric Wahlquist <ewahlquist at mijcf_org>
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Subject: DIY CO2

First, this is the most amazing resource and I've spent many happy hours
following old threads and reading about everything. I think for me a
huge part of the fun in having an aquarium is all the info on the net!

I feel like a have a stupid question but I've become stumped in my
attempts to create a satisfactory yeast mix for my DIY CO@ setup.  My
first mix was @ six cups water, 2 cups sugar, 1/2 tsp yeast. It bubbled
for about a day and then nothing, even after I shook it up for the next
few days.  I thought maybe it was too much sugar (I make bread and know
what too much sugar and salt can do to yeast) so I made another batch
using only 1 cup sugar.  It too bubbled for about a day and then
nothing. I added a bit more yeast, got a big bubble into my plastic cup
reactor, and then nothing.  I just made another batch using 1/2 cup
sugar and am having the same problem.

I'm using a 2 liter plastic bottle with clear 1/4 tubing coming out of
the cap and sealed with silicon. It is trapped under a clear plastic cup
I have lodged under my filter intake. I was hoping to see the bubbles go
into the reactor at the rate I've read about, but have yet to see any
activity that lasts longer than a very short day.

Is this normal? When I did all the reading, it seemed that a mix should
be bubbling for a few weeks at least.  What am I doing wrong? Do you add
yeast to a mix that has stopped doing anything? (I haven't had much luck
with sourdough starters either.)  Is it the yeast? What exactly is the
mix supposed to do in the big bottle? Is there a way to tell if it is
doing anything? Do you add flour? more yeast? more sugar? If no bubbled
are going into the reactor in the tank, am I right in assuming nothing
is happening?

I have a 55 gal tank with lots and lots of plants, hard water, and am
relying on my DIY setup to keep the plants going.  They are doing fine
so far but haven't grown much, not surprisingly.  I was hoping the CO2
would lower the Ph a bit and help the plants.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, although I apologize for asking
about something that seems to have been covered in depth for quite a
while:)