"Crystal Val" four feet long

Sounds like either:
(a) You are a genuine WHIZ at raising aquatic plants! or

(b) The "Crystal Val" was mis-labelled.  The plant I know as "Crystal Val" is
a spiral-leaved val variety that grows only a foot to 18 inches tall.

If the plant you got is NOT spiral-leaved, it is probably NOT Crystal Val,
but probably "Italian Val," which is not Italian.  (Well, at least, it does
not respond when spoken to in Italian. 8^D ) Or, my first idea was correct -
you are a whiz at raising aquatic plants.

This probably illustrates the problem we so frequently have in identifying
species, let alone cultivars. I wish I could be helpful instead of annoying.
:-(