Re: Natural Algae Control

Eng Chuah said....
>I have observed that Filamentous Algae does not not grow on my Anachris Canadensis in my ponds.I have
>carried out experiments in wrapping strands of A.C around infested plants {Myro. sp,Echn. sp which were
>festooned by algae} and the algae will not attack it.
>A high planting of A.C in a particularly bad pond has shown a marked decline in algae growth.In order to
>eliminate the {natural} assumption that A.C is a great consumer of nutrients, I have mashed up A.C in a
>blender and dispersed the soup into a second pond. Initial results are promising {two weeks old}.
>
>Q. Is there a natural inhibitor in A.C which is released into the water column?
>Q. Are there other plants out there which deter algae {duckweed springs to mind though it does not appear
>     to inhibit algae growth}

Many algae species are said to need cyanocobalamin (B12), thiamin, or
biotin to be supplied exogenously by other species of algae which
sythesize their own and liberate sufficient amounts to support the
growth of nearby vitamin-requiring species. Some, however, produce
extracellular products that chelate free B12, making it unavailable
to other species. I wouldn't be surprised if A. canadensis had a
similar capability to interfere with some uptake by your algae.

--
Dave Whittaker
ac554 at FreeNet_Carleton.ca