Used CO2 tanks

-----------

> Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 11:15:11 -0400
> From: Karsten Klein <kklein at uceng_uc.edu>
> Subject: CO2 bottle / Regulator
>
> Hi guys!
>
> Last week I bought a 10lb CO2 bolttle plus
> regulator for a good price (I think) and I
> want to let everybody know who might live
> in the Cincinnati area and who is interested.
>
> The bottle (looks brand new, I don't know
> if it is) was $45 and the two stage
> adjustable regulator was $60. If somebody wants
> to have the address / phone number - just email
> me. The CO2 filling was included in the $45.
> Also, I think their price for refilling is good:
> $6 for the 10lb bottle.
>
> Karsten.
Anyone buying used CO2 cylinders, be careful. The manufacture date of
the cylinder is usually stamped right into the metal of the bottle right
near the neck. At least in Minnesota, they must be tested every five
years or they cannot be refilled. The testing process costs nearly as
much as buying a new tank outright and takes several months to get back.
Furthermore to just get rid of the things requires payment of a
hazardous waste fee! Check your bottles- if they are stamped 92, take
them to a welding shop that exchanges bottles, you'll get a new 5 year
"lease" and a 10lb refill for $10-$12!
PS, Odd sized bottles, (not 5 or 10lb) and odd shaped cylinders are
harder to get refilled. The most convient places are welding shops and
they only take the standard sizes.
I understand that medical supply places will actually refill your bottle
but I haven't tried this.
I find it most convient to walk into my local welding shop plop down
$12.00 and be out the door in less than 5 minutes. (the welding geeks
also get a kick out of me when I tell them what I'm doing with the
tank!) They all think I'm really drinking beer.
Bill Ruff