filters suck out minerals?

Hey all,
  I've been keeping a eye on my tank for some time now, and have noticed
that when it comes time for me to change the carbon in my filter, the
mineral content of the tank changes. And not for the better. Is the
filter actually tanking the minerals and trace elements out of the
water, or is it some other unseen cause? If so, what should I put into
it for a filter medium?
  Tank spects: 140gallon high, Amonia .15ppm, Nitrate .0ppm, Iron .0ppm,
KH 16, GH 8, & a DIY CO2 setup
  All of these were taken with the Red Sea kits, for those of you that
doubt their consistancy. Please send your ideas and comments.

Happy gardening!

Cindy