Artist's Clay? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 29 May 1997 20:44:40 -0700
From: Mike Bishoff <mbishoff at excell_com>
To: owner-aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Subject: Artist's Clay?

OK, here we go...

Until someone says no, I'm planning on using one-half to one pound of very
brick red artist's clay as a substitute for laterite clay. The supply house
tells me it's natural and high in iron oxide, therefore it's deep brick
color. Lots of other various other tones of "red" too, but this one seemed
the best for no other reason that gut feeling.

It may not be laterite, but it is locally and easily available. I'm
planning on letting it dry out and then smashing it into dust and mixing
with 2-3mm gravel and placing in first 1'' of substrate, then a layer of
fine sand and then 2-3mm gravel. *Very* low tech...

Thoughts?

Mike
"It's easier to dream than do, so get to it."