Re: Laterite usage

> Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 20:34:45 -0000
> From: "babar100" <babar100 at ix_netcom.com>
>
> The only thing that worries me is that the pot could curb the plants
> desire to spread its roots widely.  Although, uncurbed they would
> entwine so much that you would have to destroy the plant in order to
> remove it (imagine the clouds of laterite).

In my experience, this is not a problem (with Dupla laterite, at
least).  We have extracted huge plants with extensive root systems
from our tanks and have neither destroyed the plant nor raised clouds
of laterite.  Laterite does come up but it settles out within
minutes. Some care is needed in detwining the roots from the heating
cables, but patience and a little care make this straight forward.

If you do move a large plant, it is wise to trim the roots back quite
a bit anyway, so there isn't much worry about destroying it in the
first place.

George