gravel for growing plants

I want to grow plants in my freshwater aquarium and would like to know what
kind of gravel would be best to use.  I have a 40 gallon breeder aquarium
that has been very healthy for two years with several kinds of fish and two
aquatic turtles we found...Carolina mud turtles.  They are very passive and
I don't think they'll bother the plants.  I have a small amount of natural
creek bottom type gravel...actually pebbles, smooth, and different sizes.

What should I add, and how deep should it be for the majority of the plants
I'll be planting?
Paul Getty
Morehead City, NC
getty at bmd_clis.com