Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #715

>> On another, related subject, how do you go about washing sand?
>
>I use a plastic bucket (that is never used with soap of
>any kind). Put in some sand and run water of a comfortable
>temperature over it while stirring it up with a
>rubber-gloved hand. The other hand tilts the bucket
>at times to pour off some water. You can see when the
>water runs clear.
>
>Cliff Lundberg
>San Francisco
>------------------------------
>From: vahe at arminco_com
>Subject: Re: washing sand
>
>For washing sand easily, its better to sift it
>first through a sieve with rather fine mesh (I use
>one with the holes around 1mm). This lets the fine
>particles (dust?) to pass through. Whatever remains on the sieve is much
>cleaner and is significantly easier to wash: put it in a bucket,
>fill with water, mix with the hand, drain, and repeat the procedure several
>times until the water
>is clear.
>Hope this helps.
>
>- - Vahe
Thanks to Cliff and Vahe for at least trying to answer what might have seemed a
silly question. I did mention that I had tried the swirling about in a bucket
technique, and that it had taken a long time and a HUGE amount of drought
stricken London's precious water to get to a clear run-off point, with only a
half bucket or so full of sand. I now have a much larger tank to provide for,
and I don't want the water police round........

However, I think the response from DQ was quite un-called for in it's
patronising and facetious tone, I know irony does not travel well across the
atlantic in either direction, but even after making allowances.........
>Date: Sat, 17 May 1997 20:24:23 -0400
>From: Dan Q <dqallwet at avana_net>
>Subject: Re: Response to Sparrow from Dan
>
>Hi Sparrow, I have had a long standing policy to help little birds in
>distress.
(!) Thanks
>> Hi, Dan,
>> I have decided to go with the ol' kitty litterite idea of yours, so I > bought a sack. I put some in a glass to do a pH change test and it
>> dissolved leaving a fine stuff at the bottom and a large  amount of
>> material in suspension. This surprised me as I had anticipated the
>> litter staying in it's porous lump state thereby facilitating aerobic > conditions in the substrate.
>>My Q's:
>> Is this supposed to happen]

>   I think it's possible that the article I wrote in english didn't get
>translated properly in what ever language it is you speak in London.
(!) thanks again
>I've tried the same experiment and got the same results, so yes this is
>what is suppose to happen. You lost me in the "..facilitating aerobic
>conditions". I suspect most substrates are anaerobic, and this would not
>be an exception.

Most substrates are NOT anaerobic, otherwise nitrobacter and nitrosoma could not
live there, and H2S and other nasties would prevail
>> Am I using the right stuff (I am n UK BTW)
>   I think I'm more concerned if it's in the right hands.

(!)
>> If this is the right stuff, does not the suspension get in to the
>> column at vacuum/planting times?
>  It's minimal if you remember to cover it with an 1 1/2" (7 cm) of
>sand.
>
>> If so, how is it removed.
>  With a siphon or filter.
>
>> Do you "wash" it to remove the finest, suspensible (is that a real
>> word or did I just make it up?) material?
>  As in suspense?
No Dan, as in "in suspension"

>> If so, how?
>   I tried washing it once , even used Ivory soap, but nothing I've
>found yet, seems to work. I would suggest you don't even get it wet
>until it's covered with sand.
Thanks..........

>> On another, related subject, how do you go about washing sand?
> I use water, pH is not important and no soap.
Thanks again

>> I have just put some in 1/2 of my "experimental" tank, a 24", and it
>> took about four hours, and heaven knows how much water to wash this
>> tiny quantity so that no "dust" was in suspension. Is there a n easy
>> way?
>   Yes, rinse once and then let your filter and gravity clear up your
>water. If your forced to use beach sand, you might just try lighting a
>match to it.
?????

>> I have a 40 gallon which i need to set-up, and doing it this way will
>> take about a month sand will drain London dry. I am considering
>> cannibalising a scrap washing machine to make a centrifuge, but surely
>> not EVERYONE who uses sand goes to such lengths?

>  Sand drying was not in anything I've written.
No-one mentioned drying.....

 I'm not sure how they do
>things in the mother country. However, if you want to go the extra mile,
>I might suggest a product we use all the time in this country. It's
>called Bounce, and I believe it's made by Procter & Gamble. This won't
>speed the drying time, but it should fluff up the sand and give it a
>"frescura natural" (outdoor fresh) smell. ;-}
(!)
>BTW- You can down load my article from my web page, but I warn you, it's
>all written in english.
Which comes, as I do, from England BTW