re:Phosphate test

In a message dated 97-05-11 03:49:18 EDT, Aquatic-Plants-Owner at actwin_com
(Aquatic Plants Digest) writes:

<< The method reacts
 a solution of ammonium molybdate, bismuth subnitrate and ascorbic acid
 with phosphate to form a blue color.  What I sould like to know is what
 is the reaction that forms the blue color?  If you know of a reference
 could you let me know.   >>

I know that phosphomolydate plus ascorbic acid yields a colored product.
 It's the basis of the Ames ascorbic acid test sticks.  I don't know the
mechanism for the generation of phosphomolybdate from ammonium molybdate.

PCM