Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V2 #690

> Date: Mon, 5 May 1997 12:02:59 -0500
> From: "David W. Webb" <dwebb at ti_com>
> Subject: Re:Cheap Flourescent Lighting
>
> >Date: Sun, 4 May 1997 19:02:39 -0400
> >From: WebServices <webservices at elam-software_com>
> >
> >While wanting to upgrade my lighting for my 55g, I am weary of
purchasing
> >one of those cheap $10 fluorescent fixtures... The appearance doesn't
> >matter, it's that I've noticed that some of those inexpensive fixtures
> >emitting a noticeable "buzzing" sound. Since this tank is in my bedroom,

> >that may create a problem... Has anyone else had problems w/this, or I
am
> >worried about nothing? Thanks! :)
>
> If the box has Lights of America on it, just walk on by.  I suspect all
> others of the ultra-cheap fixtures have similar capacitive voltage
> multipliers as well.  Get one with a magnetic, or a high frequency
magnetic
> ballast.
>
> David W. Webb in Plano TX, where it's threatening to rain.

I would like to suggest that if you make use of some cheap air pumps, there
noise will easily drown out the sound of the fluorescent fixtures. I
currently have eight tanks in my bedroom, I have adjusted to the noise
level but the humidity is still a problem.

On a more serious level, I am having a lot of success with GE. Bright Stik
about $10.00 from Walmart or Home Depot. about twenty two inches long they
are a convenient size for a variety of tanks. GE also makes one they call a
Gro-Light almost identical for twice the price, My experience so far
indicates that the cheaper one is working better.

Best Wishes David in Houston "Hot and Sunny"