Tank conversion

In the process of moving my 11o gal. tank next month I would like to
convert from a undergravel filter to an external filter and use a proper
substrate. Any suggustions on filters and substrate for a beginner? Also
I am concerned about existing plants and fish after the conversion. What
is the best way to ensure the health of plants and fish after the
conversion until the tank cycles? Would starting an external filter now
to build up the Bio. filtration in it now be helpfull. Hopefully the
tank will be down for less then 24 hours. Any help with this will be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Mace Arnold