Plant nutrients-an alternative to PMDD

>I have been attentive to the various posts on PMDD, but I don't want to
>fart around with the mixing and the titration and the building of copper
>levels inherent in the current recipe and all that.
>
>So I want to pass along a tip that Karen Randall kindly gave me which
>anyone who feels as I do and who has US$12 may wish to try.  Buy Tropica
>Mastergrow from http://www.marine-monsters.com.  That amount plus US$6
>shipping per order will buy 250 ml of a trace element mixture that covers
>what is needed and yet which is devoid of copper.

Just to clarify, Macon, Mastergrow _does_ contain copper.  Copper is needed
in minute amounts by plants.  It's just that some of the trace element
mixes that people are using as the strarting point for PMDD contain too
much, IMO.

>Another piece of valuable information from Karen for people just starting
>out with planted aquariums.  When will you need to start adding nutrient
>supplements?  Karen says that it may be as early as two weeks after a Dupla
>laterite in the substrate tank has been set up.  Here is my experience on
>it:  you will want to start adding nutrients after the water clears of
>algae in a newly set up tank.

No.  You misunderstood me.  In my experience, if the tanks are set up well,
planted with plenty of healthy fast growing plants and not over stocked,
there is no need for _any_ algae bloom in a new tank.  _IF_ you have an
algae bloom, you may not want to ad liquid fertilizers until it is under
control.

Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Association