Ceratopteris thalictroides

A couple of months ago I bought at a club auction several samples of the
broad-leaf variety of water sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides, right?).
It has been doing very well (I grow it floating) and, as expected,
several aerial branches were sent out. I recently noticed that one of
the plants has generated an emerged branch that looks quite different:
instead of the expected broad, fringed leafs, it has thick (round
section), narrow and pointy, almost needle-like leaves (it's hard to
explain in writing how they look). Is there anyone that can explain to
me what is the reason for this change? The other water sprite plants
nearby are perfectly "normal".

Dionigi