Build your own

Bill Ruff wrote:

>I don't know how handy you are, but CO2 reactors are very easy to make.
>I am in the process of building my own using an old protein skimmer from
>a saltwater tank. I had access to a valve that I think will work and I
>plan on purchasing the CO2 tank for $50.00 and $11.00 for the fill. Thus
>the system will cost me about $70.00 when I'm done with the misc.
>plastic connections.

You are absolutely correct that you can put together a very serviceable CO2
system for far less than the cost of a commercial system.  But you _are_
underestimating your costs.  Besides what you already have, you will also
need to purchase at least a regulator (the least expensive I've seen have
been around $60) and a needle valve. (from about $15 for marginally
reliable ones, to about $40 for the best ones)  You'll find that $120-$150
is a more realistic price for a DIY pressurized system.
Karen Randall
Aquatic Gardeners Association