cloudiness in tanks

     I'm writing an article/FAQ on substrates and I'd like a little
     more information on remedies for cloudiness in tanks caused by
     clay or similar fine particles.

     Merrill wrote:

        "Crystal-Clear" from Aquarium Products is available in Canada
        and will do the job for you!

     Does anybody know what's in Crystal-Clear? This isn't an algicide
     or something intended to clear bacterial turbidity is it? I'm
     looking specifically for remedies for clay cloudiness. What does
     the packaging say about it?

     Assuming that Crystal-Clear is a chemical agent, are there safe
     chemicals that anyone would care to suggest for this purpose?

     I'm sure there are some biological remedies and I'm hoping we can
     poke one of our biochemistry experts to come up with an
     explanation or two!

     When I've mixed plain water and clay in a pail, it will remain
     cloudy for weeks. I try to avoid that situation in aquariums but
     it has occurred to a lesser extent and I always seem to be able
     to cure it by using an ordinary floss type filter. Why is that???
     There is no way that the floss would have the ability to filter
     out particles 2 microns in size or smaller.

     Is it "stickiness" or is it something to do with neutralizing the
     negative charge sites on the clay crystals? If it's stickiness,
     what is that? What makes things sticky? (besides peanut butter
     and jam)

     What makes some kinds of bacteria sticky?

     Steve