CO2

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but what?

I set up a CO2 system this weekend in a 2 liter pop bottle. airtube from
the top into a checkvalve (pointed the right way).and then into an
airstone. 2 cups of sugar, 1 teaspoon of yeast and a teaspoon of baking
soda and then water to about 3 inches from the top. So far nothing. So:

1) Is this too much water?

2) Should I wait to put the baking soda in until after the reaction is going?

3) Is is too cold? The house temperatute is 68-70f.

4) Does it just take a while to get started?