re: increase in spamming and Spirulina floss

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "David W. Webb" <dwebb at ti_nospam.com>
To: plants <Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com>
Subject: RE: Increase in spamming?  & Spirulina floss

> Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 09:24:00 -0500
> From: jwilson at mnw_net (Jon Wilson)
>
> > From: George Booth <booth at hpmtlgb1_lvld.hp.com>
> > Have people noticed an increase in junk e-mail recently?

[cuttings here and there to be brief]

> I asked the listmaster of the other list to add the cancel bots to
> the archive so that at least well-behaved bots will not pull addresses.
>
> Be sure to send a copy of unsolicited email to the postmaster at
> the sending domain and tell them about the abuse.

In the case of the spams I've gotten, I seriously suspect the
archive-scanning bots aren't going to respond to a cancel bot since they
also seem to invariably forge their reply to and from addresses.

I will probably have to stoop to drastic measures, such as making honest
people have to edit my email address to actually respond.  This makes it
annoying for others, but makes it very difficult for rogue address
scanners to attack me.

Obligatory plant content:

I recently set up a quarantine tank for some cardinals that I purchased
for what was at first a good price.  I wound up losing most of them due
to starvation and stress when I couldn't spend the proper amount of time
acclimating them to my quarantine tank.

Anyways, one thing I did that the list might be interested in is I set
up a corner box filter, but not having any live biomedia to fill it
with, I stuffed it full of live spirulina growing in my daphnia tank.

The quarantine tank is next to my daphnia tank and both get twin-tube
24hx7d lighting, so I suspect the spirulina in the box filter will do
quite well as a photosynthetic, nutrient-removing filter media.

Comments?

--
David W. Webb
http://www.dallas.net/~dwebb

Any correlation between my opinions and those of Texas
Instruments is purely coincidental.