Repairing a tank

A friend of mine has a 125 gallon tank that the 1/2" glass brace that holds the top center of the tank together split when a halogen light was placed on it.  The tank did start to bow out in the center so he duct taped it and later removed some water to reduce presure.  It doesn't look like removing the brace and replacing it would be very easy.  So he is thinking of putting another 1/2" plate on top of the cracked/busted piece and siliconing them together.  He doesn't want to remove all of the water because he has a few large oscars in the tank and doesn't have another tank large enough to house them for a few days.

Do you think this will work?
Any better ideas?

I haven't seen the damage myself yet but from the discription he gave me this is what I imagine it looks like.

Top view of tank(X = break in glass)
*             *          *             *
*             * XXXXX    *             *
*             XX     X  XX             *

Thanks.

Don Griffes
dgriffes at coresoft_com