Laterite in Clay Substrate

I'm gearing up to tear down my 150 gallon tank to add substrate heating and a more appropriate amount of laterite to the substrate.  I'm also considering using clay for the first inch or so of the base.  What I was wondering is, since I will be using substrate heating cables, should I mix the laterite into the clay base layer or construct three layers, one of clay followed by a gravel layer with laterite mixed in and then a top layer of strictly gravel.

Regards,
Scott Corbeil