Re:Gymnocoronis: a neat plant (Aquatic Weed?!?!?)

<< Re:Gymnocoronis: a neat plant >>
>I think it is one of the most strikingly different aquatic plants I have
>seen, with its massive, compact growth.  It is beyond the 'easy-to-keep'
>category and well into the 'hard-to-kill' category.  One can hack it up
i>nto little bits, and every one regenerates new plantlets.  It appears to
>grow pretty well, floating, even in conditions where floating Ceratopteris
>is iron deficient.  It does have to be cut back when it reaches the
>surface, or it will keep on going and try to push the cover off the tank.
>It is in the aster family, and the only other aquatic member from that
>group that I know of is Tricoronis rivularis ? the "Mexican Oak", which is
>known to be fast-growing and easy to propagate from cuttings.

Reading this reminds me of one of our responsibilities as responsible aquatic
gardeners.  Vigorous plants like this can easily become noxious weeds if they
escape the confines of our "optimum aquarium".  Waterways are ruined, native
plants are displaced, aquatic communities are devistated and hundreds of
millions of dollars are spent trying to mitigate the problems caused by
aquatic weeds.  Please do not flush plant parts down the toilet or throw them
away such that they have a chance of getting into a waterway.  If you give
excess plant parts away to friends make sure they are aware of their
responsibilities as aquatic gardeners as well!

Chazz Hesselein
Extension Horticulturist
Alabama Cooperative Extension System, Mobile