Tank spawned/raised SAEs

     Hi All,
        It has been awhile since I have posted. Due to some unexpected
     constraints, I fell behind in reading the list, I'm up to March 22.
     Someone posted a question about SAEs spawning in a home aquarium.  I
     apologize that it took me so long to respond, and that I did not make
     note of the name of the person that asked the question.
        Yes, you can spawn, and raise SAEs in a home aquarium. I have a
     tank with 200+ tank-raised SAEs in it. I have traded about 300 more
     for other fish, plants, etc.
        No, it is not easy to get them to spawn 'initially', but once they
     are established they are like the preverbial rabbit. The majority of
     my fry are from 6 SAEs that I bought about 18 months ago.
        A side question. Does anyone have an idea of the life span ( time
     length ) of an SAE? All my losses of adults has been to jumping.
        I am in the process of putting my observation together, and hope to
     have this done this summer. I would be glad to answer any questions I
     can on this subject.
        Current spawns happen in tanks from 40 gal to 200+ gal. A wide
     range of Ph, dH, kH. I have recently purchased some wild caught SAEs,
     that I intend to raise and attempt to breed. I will divide these into
     three groups and hopefully gather more specific information.
        I should mention that my base conditions are not what the average
     hobbist will have. I have well water. I have a 20 x 40 foot in ground
     swimming pool that during the winter becomes a large goldfish,
     green-water, live food tank. I have a year round pond that is fed by
     winter rains/flooding, that is home to a huge variety of wildlife. I
     use as much of the natural resources available to me as posible.
        My tanks range from lightly to heavily planted. I raise easy to
     grow plants, ones that tolorate a wide varity of conditions.
        SAEs are egg scatters, and will eat the eggs if they can. If
     False-SAEs are mixed in with the group, they will devour the eggs as
     the spawn is happening, as will any other fish that might be present.
     The one exception is a pair of Panaque N. males.
        I have observed that planted tanks are necessary to hide the eggs
     from the parents, and to prepare the adults for spawning. I have tried
     preparing/moving the spawning group/shoal to lightly planted/bare
     tanks with no success. In between the bouts of spawning, the SAEs
     devour the eggs. A large, well planted tank is a definate plus. A
     strong current is also beneficial.
        I realize I have not given a lot of Meat-and-Potatoes info here,
     but I don't want to take up a lot of band-with on the Plant list with
     a predominatly, non-plant subject. You can contact me offlist at the
     address below.
                                Doug U

     underwod at ccmail_orst.edu