Java Fern

Not too long ago, someone asked about the growing conditions for Java Fern.
In particular they were interested, if my memory serves, about its
suitability as a pond plant.  I thought this was a good question and
eagerly awaited a response, but, alas, there has not been one yet.

My Baensch v.1 says that Java Fern prefers
KH 2-12, pH 5.5-7.0, and Temp 68-82F (20-28C).

It also says that they grow both emersed and submersed in the wild.

Does this comport with the experts' experieces?

Do emersed-grown specimens melt if you grow them submersed?

TIA,

Dirk