Re: Seltzer Question

>Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 18:39:02 -0500
>From: James Garriss <jpg at langley_mitre.org>
>
>For those of you who have been using Seltzer Water to add CO2 to your
>aquarium plants:
>
>  how much & how often would you add it to a 55 gal?
>
>TIA,

Hi James,

I'd probably buy one bottle of seltzer water, drill the cap, silicone some
rigid air tubing in place with a 45 degree angle on the bottom to release
droplets, and observe with interest how long it continues to provide my
tank with CO2.  I suspect it wouldn't be very long, but it would be
interesting.

Afterwards, I'd dump the water, add 2 cups of sugar, 1 teaspoon of yeast,
one teaspoon of baking soda, and 2 liters of lukewarm tapwater, then hook
it up.  This concoction should produce CO2 for 3-4 weeks and will cost a
little less than the equivalent amount of seltzer water, I think.

I talked with the owner of my local aquarium store a few years ago about
CO2 and he mentioned using seltzer water in his tanks with good results.  I
suspect that if you have a ready supply of it, you can add enough per day
to keep the pH at around 7.0 with a KH of roughly 4 dGH and you'll acheive
very rapid plant growth.  If you have to purchase seltzer water by the
2-liter bottle though, this might become somewhat expensive.

I hope this helps,

David W. Webb           Corporate Business Systems
Texas Instruments Inc.  Dallas, TX USA
(972) 575-3443 (voice)  MSGID:       DAWB
(972) 575-4853 (fax)    Internet:    dwebb at ti_com
(214) 581-2380 (pager)  Text Pager:  dwebb at ti_com Subj:PAGE